Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Faucet and more Flooring Destruction


Today I installed the faucet we bought to replace the one that was constantly dripping.  It also has a lot higher arc to its spigot than the old one, making it a lot easier to use.  The only difficulty I had was interpreting the picture only directions, and attaching the hoses to from the faucet to the shut off valves we installed yesterday.

The directions had nothing written to enhance the pictures that were provided, while most of it was straight forward, one thing wasn't.  We just couldn't determine if a plastic piece was supposed to be between the sink and the faucet or not.  It is barely visible, so I decided that it was likely supposed to act like a washer for the faucet base, and left it there.  The rest of the faucet assembled easily, with easy snap together parts and hand tightenable fasteners.  The hoses confused me for a while. They said half inch for both ends but for some reason a half inch on one end was not the same as the other end.  So after trying to attach the wrong end to the faucet and deciding that I had some how bought the wrong hose, Tisha pointed out that they were different sizes at each end of the hose.  Which solved the problem and now we have running hot and cold water in the kitchen, extremely nice pressure too.  While replacing all these items I did notice a lot of build-up inside the old valves and smaller sections of pipe.  It really looks like we are going to want to install a whole house water filter to get rid of all the particulate that we seem to have in our water.


I finally removed the last of the carpeting in the basement, so that Tisha could attack the mold in the corner with lots of bleach water and other cleaning products.  She also scraped off the effervescence on the walls, which made the walls look lovely, but should help when we get around to dealing with them later.  The cleaning extended to other sections of the basement, with the basement bathroom getting a more thorough cleaning and the floors getting washed.  Having the laundry room usable now is a nice savings on time and money as opposed to hitting the laundry mat and dropping twenty dollars every week.


The kitchen got just a bit more done today.  The floor removal has gotten to the hardest and most involved part, and we may just pay to have the professionals take it the rest of the way.  It will likely take me almost a full day to get it gone all the way to the cupboards, which is time I really don't have.  If the price it too high I will likely tackle it next weekend or as a plan B for tomorrow, otherwise it will be better for them to take care of it.

I also managed to clean up all the debris from the floor removal and washed down the ceiling in the kitchen in preparation for paint tomorrow, as well as washing down the bathroom on the 1st floor with bleach and a scotch pad to get rid of the mold there.

Tomorrows plan A:  I hope to get the kitchen ceiling painted, the stairway ceiling painted, the small bedroom primed, the 1st floor bathroom primed and a final coat of paint on the walls in the kitchen.  I doubt I will get that far, but it is a nice goal.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to my kitchen, I'm already covered in primer! I can come over and get covered in more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, just wish I had a bit more energy to make use of you. Though it was fun showing off the house.

    ReplyDelete